Saturday, December 27, 2008

Launching of Howard's End Blog December 2008

Welcome to the launch of my Howard's End Blog. On this blog I will collect "All Things Culinary" as I meander through my days with Jane, Katie, Drew, Valerie, extended family, friends.......I will post on dinners, recipies, restaurant experiences, books, and movies. I welcome other's to add their favorite recipies as well.

To begin I will post on dinner with Robin, Peter, Andrew, Tanya, Drew, Valerie, and Jane last night at our house. Following is the menu with recipies:

Appetizer: Rustique Camembert Cheese with Fig Jam and toasted French Baguette.

Salad: Arugula with slivers of Parmesan Reggiano and Shallot/Lemon/Walnut OIl Vinaigrette

Vinaigrette:

Lemon juice
Sherry Vinegar
Red Wine Vinegar
1 shallot diced
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 part Walnut oil, 3 parts Olive oil

Should be 4 parts of oil to one part acid
In mixing bowl put equal parts of the three acidic ingredients, add shallot (I use small cuisinart mini chopper), salt and pepper and the dijon mustard. Whisk well till mixed thoroughly, gently drizzle in the walnut oil while whisking, continue with the olive oil, till becomes emulsified. Taste and adjust with either lemon juice or olive oil to reach subtlety desired.

Let dressing sit for an hour. Then lightly dress the arugula with the dressing, toss with both hands, and shave a few thin pieces of the Parmesan Reggiano on top.

No comments: