Saturday, January 3, 2009

Cocktail of the Week: The Alden Bitters



To launch the cocktail of the week area of my blog, I would like to dedicate this to Alden Griffith (whose connections are well know to Howard's End, with his stints as artisinal bread and tart maker). Last summer on a warm night in June, we all took a post prandial stroll to the beach, carrying with us some libations, to settle fully satisfied midsections. Alden settled on a prized bottle of bitters, with the youthful bravado of adventure and invincibility. This is a drink using such same Bitters.

The source of this is Eric Felten, who writes a How's Your Drink in the weekend Wall Street Journal. One of my favorite sources as well as a favorite section of the weekend edition. His name for the drink is Fanciulli Cocktail. At my establishment, I will rename it the Alden Bitters:

1 1/2 oz Bourboon
3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth
1/4 oz Fernet-Branca

Sit with ice and strain into a stemmed cocktail glass. Or serve it on the rocks in an Old-Fashioned glass. For the sweet vermouth, a big, bold vermouth such as Punt e Mes or Vya is the the best bet up against Fernet-Brance



Yes the Fernet-Branca is the bottle now reserved for Alden in a special place.

2 comments:

Alden said...

I am happy to see that there are other liquors that can tame the one and only Fernet-Branca (aka the FB). From my calculations of this here concoction, the FB represents 10% of the Alden Bitters. I am humbled and honored to have this drink named after me, but for the record, it should be stated that my only experience with the FB was at full, canary-killing 100% (beware of youthful bravado...). I am excited to try a real (10% FB) Alden Bitters when I'm next at Howard's End!

-Alden

Howard's End said...

Hi Alden,
Yes I will have the 10% FB Alden Bitters as our signature drink the next time you make a reservation. You will also be added to the Fernet Branca Canary Killing Register, with the 100% and number of ounces fully documented.